Home FEATURES Federal Government Gazettes IPOB Proscription

Federal Government Gazettes IPOB Proscription

PRESIDENTBUHARI SIGNS HIS LETTER TO NATIONAL ASSEMBLY. President Buhari signs letter notifying the National Assembly of his resumption of duties flanked by the Chief of Staff at the State House Abuja on Aug 21, 2017. PHOTO; SUNDAY AGHAEZE/STATE HOUSE

Federal Government is believed to have finally gazetted the proscription of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), sealing any hope of the earlier ban being reversed.

With the gazetting of the proscription, the group ceases to exist by the nation’s law and the government might have ruled out dialogue with the leader, Nnamdi Kanu.

A top government official said that the proscription order was gazetted by the Federal Government on Thursday and that there is no going back on the government position that the organisation remains illegal.

“Whether IPOB is registered abroad or anywhere is immaterial. The most important thing we have achieved is that the terrorist group can no longer operate in this country.

“The gazette is the climax of the presidential proclamation and the decision of the court on it.

“Any Nigerian or group associating with IPOB is doing so at a greater risk.”

This is even as security agents have said that they have identified the Nigerian suspected to be operating the proscribed organisation (IPOB) in Paris, France even though the government of France had denied the claim.

The Embassy of France said last week it was surprised by the statement made by the Minister of Information and Culture indicating that the “financial headquarters” of IPOB were in France”.

“We don’t have any knowledge of a particular presence of IPOB in France and the Nigerian authorities never got in touch with the Embassy on this point.

“We stand ready to examine any information which could support this statement.

“Furthermore, we would like to reiterate that France actively cooperates with Nigeria in the field of security and that we strongly support the unity of the country”, the statement said.

The government last week said money was being raised from some Nigerians in the diaspora to fund IPOB.

See also:  Asiwaju Tinubu To Nuhu Ribadu: You Still Have Much To Offer Nigeria, World

Funds were also raised from events, including a football tournament organised in Senegal, for the banned organisation.

Funds raised from the diaspora Nigerians’ donation and other sources are remitted to an account in Paris from where it is disbursed for the organisation’s activities.

The account holder was not named at the weekend.

A source said: “Security agencies are still conducting more checks before releasing the details on the fellow running the Paris, France account on behalf of IPOB and its leader.

“When the necessary investigation is completed, the findings will be presented to the French government for appropriate action in line with the laws in France.

“These agencies will also trace other accounts in some jurisdictions where funds were remitted into the Paris account.”

Asked if the Federal Government would dialogue or negotiate with the IPOB leader, the source said: “No government will relate with a terrorist organisation. Certainly, any talk of dialogue is remote.”

Following an ex-parte motion by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of JusticeAbubakar Malami (SAN), Acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court Justice Abdul Kafarati, last week granted the proscription request.

He restrained “any person or group of persons from participating in any of the group’s activities”.

He ordered the AGF to ensure the publication of the IPOB proscription order in the official gazette and in two national dailies.

He ruled: “That an order, declaring the activities of the respondent – Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) – in any part of Nigeria especially in the South-East and South-South regions of Nigeria amount to acts of terrorism and illegality, is granted.” [myad]