Published on Sep 11, 2017 Greenbarge Reporters
In furtherance of the recently commenced Operation RUWAN WUTA, on 7 September 2017,
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jet was said to have fired at a building in Lake Chad area in which a number of Boko Haram insurgents had gathered for a meeting, killing all of them.
The operation was carried out in Zanari in the northern fringes of Borno State, bordering Lake Chad where the Boko Haram insurgents had already hoisted their flags.
According to a statement by the Director of Public Relations and Information of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, a lot of insurgents had earlier been spotted, from a NAF Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance platform, entering the buildings apparently for meetings.
“The F-7Ni and the Alpha Jet aircraft were detailed to attack the target. Overhead the location, the target was acquired and engaged by the two aircraft, in rapid succession.
“Subsequent Battle Damage Assessment revealed that the targeted structures went up in flames, killing its occupants.”
The NAF spokesman said that the objective of Operation RUWAN WUTA is to further degrade the capability of the BHTs thereby preventing them from regrouping to cause havoc for our surface forces.
He said that the Operation was also aimed at softening the ground for the surface forces to subsequently move in and conduct mopping up operations.
Meanwhile, the Director Defence Information, Major General John Enenche has issued a statement condemning what he called “ill motivated” online publication on 7 September 2017 against the Nigerian Air Force which he said was sensationally captioned: “How Nigerian Air Force’s failings allegedly prolonged war against Boko Haram.”
Enenche said that the report was a deliberate misinformation about the Nigerian Air Force in particular and the Armed Forces of Nigeria in general.
He stressed that the Armed Forces of Nigeria trained and have always operated jointly to achieve set objectives under a coordinated command and control centre which is the Defence Headquarters.
According to the defence spokesman, it is not possible for a single service or component to frustrate or derail the aim of the Armed Forces of Nigeria. “Therefore, the ill motivated publication against the Chief of Air Staff and the Nigerian Air Force should be disregarded.
“It is worthy to point out clearly that, the Nigerian Air Force has lived up to its expectation in the North East, alongside the Nigerian Army and Navy for the successes recorded against Boko Haram. The Air Force like the Army and Navy were not left out of the commendation given to the Chief of Defence Staff on the fight against Boko Haram by the United States of America secretary of state, on 22 March 2017 in New York.”
He confirmed on behalf of the Defence Headquarters, that the Nigerian Air Force has never failed in its tasks against Boko Haram Terrorists in the North East.
“Collectively, the Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to work relentlessly to make Boko Haram activities in the North East history in record time.”
May 26, 2018
Sep 03, 2015