Published on Apr 28, 2016 Greenbarge Reporters
President Muhammadu Buhari has confirmed that soldiers have now fully moved to Sambisa Forest to dislodge members of Boko Haram who made the forest their strong hold.
The President told the French Minister of Defence, Mr. Jean-Yves Le Drian, who visited him today, Thursday, Boko Haram had been dislodged from 14 local government areas they were effectively controlling when he assumed office as President.
“Now, they have resorted to attacking soft targets with Improvised Explosive Devices.
“We are determined to secure all of our territory effectively. We are doing our best and our troops are now operating in the Sambisa Forest.”
President Buhari told the French Defence Minister that a multinational taskforce will soon be established to patrol the waters of the Gulf of Guinea, saying that the patrols will augment and boost ongoing efforts to improve security in the Gulf and curb crude oil theft and piracy.
President Buhari and Mr. Le Drian also discussed ongoing French support for the Federal Government’s efforts to end the Boko Haram insurgency.
The President expressed his government’s appreciation of the assistance and support of France and other G7 countries, which he said, has helped Nigeria achieve significant successes against Boko Haram.
This was even as the French Minister assured President Buhari that France will continue to assist Nigeria to overcome Boko Haram.
He said that all terrorists must be seen as common enemies of the free world.
Sep 03, 2015
Mar 19, 2018