Published on Jun 04, 2016 Greenbarge Reporters
The All Progressives Congress (APC), South South, has said that it has compelling reasons to strongly assert that the Niger Delta Avengers are sponsored and instigated by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to derail and frustrate the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.
The APC in South South attributed such sponsored group to Buhari government’s determination to fight against corruption, stabilize and put the nation on the path of sustainable development.
A communiqué emanating from a meeting of its Executive and leaders, held in the government House, Benin, Edo state on June 3, called on the government to meet and dialogue with the leaders, and stakeholders of the zone with a view to articulating the best way to address the gamut of issues affecting the area and fashioning out how to meaningfully intervene in order to decisively rein in the activities of the destructive gangs in the zone.
The zonal meeting asked the Federal Government not to reward criminal, violent and bad behaviour in order to discourage the cancerous growth of these activities that wantonly destroys our commonwealth.
The zone also resolved as follows:
“Commends President Muhammadu Buhari for the uncommon courage he has shown in waging an epic an war against the evil of corruption and its dark apostles in Nigeria. We totally support this fight and the determined effort to restructure the country’s dwindling economy with a view to building a new, respectable, progressive and viable economy and country.
2. The zone acknowledges the sterling and commendable performance of the Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomole, in the delivery of infrastructure and other dividends of good governance to the people of Edo State.
3. The zone noted that elections are around the corner to elect a governor that will succeed the Comrade Governor. The zone urges the National Exco of our great Party to provide a level-playing field for all the gubernatorial aspirants to openly vie for the Party’s ticket.
4. The zone commends President Muhammadu Buhari and the APC national government for the patriotic courage to commence the clean – up of Ogoni land as long recommended by UNEP. However, the zone also notes that despite the fact that most of the natural resources of our country comes from the zone, the Niger Delta region largely remains without adequate infrastructure, in addition to environmental degradation arising from the exploration and production of crude oil. Against this background, the zone calls on the federal government to, as a matter of urgency, carry out a complete overhaul of developmental agencies charged with the responsibility for the reclamation and development of the area such as NDDC, NOSDRAE etc.
5. The zone observes that Party members in the South-South States like Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Bayelsa and Cross River are being persecuted, maimed and cold-bloodedly murdered by agents of the PDP government in these States. The zonal leaders of our Party, therefore, kindly requests all the law enforcement agencies to be alert to their constitutional responsibilities and to take necessary steps to bring all those perpetrating these crimes to justice.
6. The zone notes the upsurge of renewed militancy in the area, especially the activities of a group that calls itself “Niger Delta Avengers.” The zone unequivocally condemns the destructive activities of this group in its entirety. The zone is cocksure that the nefarious and ruinous activities of the “Avengers” are not driven by any patriotic and altruistic impulse; rather, we have compelling reasons to strongly assert that these activities are sponsored and instigated by the opposition PDP to derail and frustrate the APC government of President Muhammadu Buhari because of its determination to fight against corruption, stabilise and put our country on the path of sustainable development.
The zone calls on the government to meet and dialogue with the leaders, and stakeholders of the zone with a view of articulating the best way to address the gamut of issues affecting the area and fashioning how to meaningfully intervene in order to decisively rein in the activities of the destructive gangs in the zone. The zonal meeting, however, warns that the Federal Government should resist the temptation to reward criminal, violent and bad behaviour in order to discourage the cancerous growth of these activities that wantonly destroys our commonwealth.
7. The zone respectfully appeals to the Federal Government to quickly address the issues of equitable appointments of qualified Party leaders and stakeholders and members into executive positions and Federal Boards. The zone is convinced that this will go a long way in reassuring our restive youths that the South-South States are being carried along as part and parcel of the Nigerian family and equal partner in the APC National Government.
8. The zone notes the present agitation for the independent “State of Biafra” and the dubious inclusion of the Niger Delta region in the map of the area constituting this imaginary State of Biafra. The zone states most unequivocally that Niger Delta is not, cannot and will never be part of Biafra.
9. Finally, the zone calls for the immediate reconstitution of the Board of the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, to reflect and accommodate all the constituent States of the region.
Signed by the understated members of the executives and leaders of the zone:
A) Prince Hilliard Eta,
National Vice-Chairman South South
B) Hon. Steven Ezekwem
Sep 03, 2015
Jun 19, 2018
Jun 15, 2018