Published on Oct 05, 2017 Greenbarge Reporters
The United Nation Children Education Fund (UNICEF) has commended the federal government over the release by Boko Haram insurgents, 752 women, children and elderly Men. They were let off the hook
from Giwa military barracks in Maiduguri, Borno State, yesterday.
UNICEF statement said that those who have been so released, have been held for screening after previously having been under the control of Boko Haram militants.
“The release is a demonstration of the Nigerian authorities’ commitment to better protecting children and helping families to rebuild their lives.
“These 527 children are first and foremost victims of this horrific conflict.
“UNICEF is working closely with the Borno State Ministry of Women’s Affairs and Social Development and other partners to support the children in their recovery and return to their communities.
“Medical personnel are assessing the condition of the women and children. Counselling services are on hand and social workers are helping to trace parents or guardians, so that they can reunite children who have been separated from their families. Children will also have an opportunity to start learning and playing again.”
The UN body working for the welfare and interest of children across the word, said that the release of the vulnerable mumbers of the public is the first important step on a long road to recovery and normalcy for those “who will require ongoing support to reintegrate with their families and communities.”
Apr 25, 2018
Sep 03, 2015