Pope Francis has cancelled all non-essential services at Vatican clinic even as the premises is set to be disinfected as coronavirus made its way into the Vatican, which is home to the Catholic Pontiff.
The first case of coronavirus was confirmed today, March 6, after a member of the Vatican’s staff tested positive for coronavirus amid fears for the Pope’s health.
The Pope was forced to cancel some of his official meetings after suffering from a cold during an Ash Wednesday service. It was learnt that outpatient services at the Vatican’s health clinic were all suspended in order to sanitize the environment.
Vatican spokesman, Matteo Bruni announced while addressing reporters in the city and said: “the city state’s emergency services will continue.
He said that Vatican has informed Italian health authorities, adding: “the clinic is open to staff and family members of people who work at the Vatican.”
So far, about 97,000 cases have been infected with the deadly disease while 3,383 deaths have been recorded since the outbreak in Wuhan, China.