The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has announced the registration of no fewer than 1.16 million for candidates seeking for admission in the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The board’s registrar, Is-haq Oloyede, who said this while taking a tour of some computer-based test (CBT) centres in Abuja today, February 11, said that the board would not extend the deadline for the 2023 UTME registration.
Oloyede warned CBT centers against extorting unsuspecting candidates.
“UTME is not a school-based examination, but for individual candidates,” the registrar said.
“See what that school, Stella Maris is doing. (They are) collecting N30,000 from candidates in the name of JAMB and then end up missing the telephone number of the candidates.
“It is unlikely that we are able to reach candidates when we contact them to make a change in their timetable.
“You send a text to them and it will not get to them. After they have graduated from the school and want to change course, they don’t have access to it and that is a way of extorting the parents.”
The JAMB registrar warned that any CBT centre found guilty of extortion will be sanctioned.
He urged candidates to report cases of extortion via a code that has been provided by the board.
“We will take adequate steps to make sure that we stop that,” the board said.
“One of the reasons is that we will tell every CBT center to stop doing bulk purchases of pins and bulk registration.
“So if the center sells more than one pin to a source or collects money for more than one pin from a source then we will sanction such a center.”
Earlier this month, JAMB suspended three UTME pin vendors in Lagos over extortion of candidates and cancelled the UTME registrations of 817 candidates in the country over impersonation.
Source: Cable News.