Home NEWS How Cyber Fraudsters Defrauded  Us Of N10 Million – JAMB Registrar

How Cyber Fraudsters Defrauded  Us Of N10 Million – JAMB Registrar

JAMB Registrar Prof. Oloyede

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Professor Ishaq Oloyede has said the board lost over N10 million to fraudsters in 2020.

Professor Oloyede, who spoke to news men today, April 14 in Abuja, said however that the cyber criminals have been investigated, tracked and nabbed in Kaduna, Nasarawa and Abuja.

“We did not ask anyone to apply to be an ad hoc staff on the site, we had already chosen them through recommendations from various agencies.

“We only created the site just to pay them via a code that was assigned to them.

“However, these suspects gained access to the site, deleted the original account details and phone numbers and inserted theirs.

“We paid N20,000 each for accommodation per night and N100,000 for flight tickets, depending on the location of each staff to go and work for that period.

“The payments ranged from N200,000 to over N300,000 per person. Yet, these suspected fraudsters after gaining access to the sites also inserted details for their family members.

“They didn’t go to partake in the exercise but ignored the messages sent from our domains.

“One of them, Saidu Zubairu collected over N3.7 million for himself because he inserted the account details of his mother, sisters and other family members.

See also:  I Have Nowhere To Go if Nigeria Breaks Up - Tinubu

“We have not calculated all the monies they all have so far received but altogether, the amount will definitely sum up to more than N10 million.

“We have already paid the original owners, though it took us over a year to track the suspects but we finally apprehended them and I assure you the law will take its cause.”

Professor Oloyede said that the board’s preparations to combat corrupt practices in its system, adding that some of the illegalities had prompted changes in the board’s mode of operations.

Saidu Zubairu, one of the 10 arrested suspects said that he got the code for the site through his friend (presently at large) and indulged others.

He said: “I succeeded in changing the original details in the site and asked eight other friends of mine to do same and they confirmed receipt of payment afterwards.”

Zubairu said that he added the details of 12 family members to the site who were also paid above N300,000.

He pleaded that they be forgiven while promising to reimburse the money if given enough time.

Editorial staff
Editorial Staff at Greenbarge Reporters is member of a team of journalists led by Editor-in-Chief, Yusuf Ozi Usman.

Leave a Reply