The news making the rounds about some Senators on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) planning to defect to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been described as fake.
Ola Awoniyi, a media aide to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, in a statement today, July 30, said that no defection letter has been submitted to his principal by any Senator as claimed by some media outlets.
The statement read, “We have seen a story on social media and some online newspapers purporting that the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, is sitting on letters from some senators allegedly intimating him of their defections from the All Progressives Congress.
“The story insinuated that Lawan is sitting on the purported letters to protect his position as the President of the Senate. We hereby state categorically that the story is utter falsehood as there is no such letter before the Senate President.”
“Obviously, the purveyors of the syndicated lies had not even bothered to confirm from the Distinguished Senator if and when he submitted any such letter to the Senate President. It is public knowledge that the Senate President has always promptly read out at plenaries letters by senators defecting from one party to another.
Some news organizations, including Politics Nigeria, have been reporting about on the 12 senators from the ruling party that have since submitted their defection letters to the Senate president who had refused to read them.
The publications even went ahead today, to give the list of the Senators who are set to join the PDP. They are:
1. Senator Adamu Bulkachuwa, (APC -Bauchi North)
2. Senator Ladi Dadu’ut, (APC – Plateau South)
3. Senator Bello Mandiya, (APC – Katsina South)
4. Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, (APC – Kwara Central)
5. Senator Danladi Sankara, (APC – Jigawa West)
6. Senator Sabi Aliyu Abdullahi, (APC – Niger North)
7. Smart Adeyemi, (APC – Kogi West)
8. Senator Yakubu Oseni, (APC – Kogi Central)
9. Bauchi Central Isah Hamma Misau
10. Halliru Dauda, (APC – Bauchi Central)