Leaders of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), have provided a soft landing opportunity for the embattled National Chairman of the party, Uche Secondus, fixing its national convention to hold in October this year.
Rising from a crucial meeting that lasted several hours at the party’s Wadata House headquarters in Abuja today, August 10, the leaders and stakeholders, including governors, former governors, serving and former National Assembly members, among others, requested the National Executive Committee (NEC) to constitute a committee to zone national elective and party positions.
Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State and chairman of the PDP Governors Forum, who read a communique at the end of the meeting, reiterated the need for unity in the party in order to offer a ready platform as an alternative to “the failed All Progressives Congress, APC administration
Full text of the communique is reproduced here:
The PDP Stakeholders held a meeting on Tuesday 10th August, 2021, at Wadata Plaza,, Abuja on the recent developments in the PDP.
- There were extensive consultations with all major stakeholders in the Party including the Governors, members of the Board of Trustees, former Presiding Officers and current Principal officers and Leaders from the National Assembly, former Governors, former Ministers, and indeed other leaders of the Party with a view to bringing all tendencies within the Party together in view of the urgent task facing the Party as the only viable vehicle to checkmate the abysmally poor governance of the APC led Federal Government.
- The meeting deliberated extensively on the issues thrown up and resolved as follows:
- That the Constitution, traditions and practices of the Party should be strictly adhered to in finding solutions to any problems.
- That all parties should sheath their sword in the greater interest of the PDP and the need to RESCUE Nigeria from the avoidable National malaise and drift occasioned by the APC administration.
- That all processes leading to an early National Convention in October be immediately activated by relevant Party organs, especially National Executive Committee (NEC).
- That the Party should redouble efforts to provide a credible alternative leadership for Nigeria as it still remains the only hope for the Nigerian people for good governance.
- The meeting requested the NEC to immediately constitute a Zoning Committee for Party Offices and another Committee for National Elective Offices.
- The meeting expressed appreciation to Party elders for their commitment and wisdom in handling Party affairs.
- We shall overcome and restore peace, security and development once again to Nigeria.