Impeachment, which the new political game in Nigeria, has found its way into the nation’s sports administration as the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Aminu Maigari was flushed out today through the system.
Maigari was impeached by eight votes to five of the 13-man Executive Committee as members reconvened to review Nigeria’s participation at the just concluded World Cup in Brazil.
The embattled NFF President was said to have made spirited effort last night to shift the Executive meeting that he scheduled, citing ministerial directive.
A communiqué issued by the Chairman of the Communiqué Drafting Committee, Muazu Suleyman reads in full:
“The Executive Committee of Nigeria Football Federation met at the NFF Secretariat, Abuja on Thursday, 24th July, 2014 to review situation after the vacation of Court Injunction as well as the resultant lifting of suspension by FIFA, and resolved as follows:
1) The Committee expressed deep and very sincere appreciation to President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR as a person, and the Federal Government as a body, for massive and continued support to the Nigeria Football Federation and the National Teams.
2) After thorough and exhaustive deliberations on the uncalled-for secrecy surrounding all financial dealings of the Federation and failure to call meeting of the Executive Committee for the past eight (8) months, during which so many weighty decisions on Nigeria football had been taken by a small cabal within the Board, the Executive Committee passed a vote of no confidence on the NFF President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari.
3) In view of the above, the Committee approved the immediate dismissal of Alhaji Aminu Maigari, from the NFF Executive Committee on grounds of financial misappropriation, misapplication and maladministration.
4) The Committee resolved to mandate the 1st Vice President, Chief Mike Okeke Umeh as Acting President, to preside over the affairs of the Federation, pending the composition of the new NFF Executive Committee after the elections of Tuesday, 26th August, 2014.
5) The Executive Committee commended world football –governing body, FIFA and the Confederation of African Football for its keen interest in the development of Nigeria football and pledged that the country will continue to abide by the dictates of FIFA and CAF Statutes and the FIFA –approved NFF Statutes.
6) Executive Committee thanked Nigerians from far and near for their patience and understanding during the crisis period and reiterated that concerted efforts are geared towards the development of football in Nigeria.
IN ATTENDANCE: Alh. Aminu Maigari (President); Chief Mike Umeh (Vice President); Chief Emeka Inyama (Member); Mrs Dilichukwu Onyedinma (Member); Alh. Ahmad Muazu Kawu (Member); Chief Effiong Johnson (Member); Barr. Christopher Green (Member); Hon. Shehu Adamu (Member); Alh. Muazu Suleyman (Member); Mr. Ayodeji Tinubu (Member); Alh. Yusuf Ahmed ‘Fresh’ (Member); Chief Felix Anyansi-Agwu (Member); Hon. Suleiman Yahaya-Kwande (Member). Secretary, Musa Amadu, also in attendance. [myad]